Stacks Image 9768

Protect your deck or patio from the heat of a fire pit.

Stacks Image 9775
Stacks Image 9777

MoistureShield Composite Decking

Stacks Image 9813
Advanced Environmental Recycling Technologies of Springdale, Arizona is the company that makes two composite decking brands that are marketed separately: Moistureshield® and ChoiceDek®. MoistureShield is sold through lumber yards and building suppliers. ChoiceDek® is sold exclusively through Lowes.

Looking at the MoistureShield web site reminds us of the dual mission of the companies producing products that are alternatives to traditional lumber. One objective is to provide homeowners and builders with decking materials that last longer with less maintenance and look better, especially over time. The other objective is to develop ways to live our lives and build homes that are less destructive of the environment. Part of that is cutting down fewer trees. Part of it is making good use of plastics as well as wood by-products and waste wood that would otherwise end up in landfills. Still another part of the equation is the manufacturing process. How these companies accomplish greener manufacturing is not as clearly spelled out, but most of the companies do address this issue.

Photos on this page are from the MoistureShield web site:
Stacks Image 9914
Above: MoistureShield" Pro - Capped on three sides -grooved for hidden fasteners or solid for traditional fastening.

Composite decking has two components: 1) the organic component, typically wood and 2) the plastic component, typically high density polyethylene (HDPE) from plastic bags and bottles. The AERT web site states that MoistureShield made up of 25% post-consumer recycled content and 70% pre-consumer content for a total of 95% recycled content. The wood component is 100% recycled, much of discarded pallets and construction debris.

The company states that "the energy saved from plastic and wood recycled annually by A.E.R.T. Inc. is comparable to taking 45,000 vehicles off the road." We don't know how this is calculated, but it does seem that this company, along with its direct competitors are generally on the right side of history.

Stacks Image 9891
The MoistureShield® Vision® series offers variegated color for a realistic look with five choices of color: Smokey Gray, Spanish Leather, Sandstone, Cathedral Stone, and Mochaccino. The Vision series also has the option of MoistureShield's CoolDeck® technology that does a better job of reflecting and not absorbing heat.
Stacks Image 9916
The MoistureShield® Refine® line offers "high definition wood grain detail" and variegation in a choice of two colors: Aurora Mist and Golden Teak.
Stacks Image 9920
The MoistureShield® Pro line is capped 3 sides and has a 25-year fade and stain warranty. There are three color options: Ipe, Gravestone, and Brazilian Chestnut.

All of the above decking styles from MoistureShield can be installed on the ground, in the ground, or in water, and all are offered in both solid and grooved profile.
Stacks Image 9924
Composite railing components in 8 different colors is another MoistureShield® product.
Stacks Image 9928
For people interested in a more contemporary look, aluminum railing in black or white is another option.
Stacks Image 9932
And for evening ambiance, rail and deck lighting is included in the MoisturShield® line up.
MoistureShield is available through most lumber and building supply companies. A section on the company's web site lets you enter your zip code to see a list of dealers in two categories: Stocking and Non Stocking. Photos on this page are from the MoistureShield web site:
Stacks Image 9761
Stacks Image 6246